Video content is taking over social media. It’s no secret that video is a powerful medium for marketing and storytelling, but what may be surprising to some business owners is just how much video content is being consumed on social media platforms. With online videos accounting for more than 82% of all consumer internet traffic in 2022, not incorporating video into your social media plan can be detrimental to your overall reach.
Why Video is Taking the World By Storm
- Video gets more exposure and therefore, engagement. If you’ve logged in to any social media platform recently, you might have noticed video content within the first 10 seconds. This is because video content typically performs best with most algorithms, based on the fact it captures a viewer’s attention for longer.
Many platforms are also giving an extra boost to new features to encourage the adoption of video content. Instagram, for example, is still heavily promoting Reels, making it one of the best growth hacks on the app right now.
- Video typically has a longer shelf life. Not only does a video get more engagement, it usually sticks around for longer. A TikTok video, for example, can be surfaced in users’ For You Pages for weeks, even months, after it is first published. This is a result of generating more interactions and shares. The more attention it gets, the longer it stays in the ecosystem.
- It appeals to a younger audience. Although social media is continuing to grow amongst older demographics, Millennials and Gen Z individuals dominate most platforms.
According to a survey by YouTube, 50% of Millenials and Gen Z generations said they couldn’t live without video in their daily lives. This explains why TikTok, a short-form video app, has been so successful amongst Gen Z users. Over 35% of TikTok’s 800 million users fall into this demographic.
- Video is a powerful sales tool. According to HubSpot, including video on a landing page can increase conversion rates by 80%. And when it comes to social media, video ads have the potential to generate a click-through rate that’s up to nine times higher than image or text-based ads.
- Video is a more personable way to engage with your audience. It allows you to show, not just tell, your story in a way that’s relatable and authentic. More than ever, consumers want to know more about the brands and creators they follow. Showcasing the faces of your brand through video can humanize your business and create a deeper, more emotional connection with your community or market.
- Video can be repurposed across multiple platforms. Creating video content doesn’t have to be a one-and-done process. You can take the same video and repurpose it for other social media platforms or even use snippets of it for future video content. This gives you more bang for your buck and helps you get the most out of your video content strategy.
Video is only set to rise in popularity as digital-first experiences take center stage. If you’re not creating video content for your brand yet, there’s never been a better time to get started.